From February through November, 2012, the Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) and Market Street Services facilitated the development of a Regional Economic Competitiveness Strategy for Metro Atlanta. This strategy is built on extensive input from stakeholders across the region, and supported by the leadership of Work Group and Steering Committee members. This strategy is intended to serve as a roadmap for Metro Atlanta on issues affecting regional competitiveness, and reflects the economic development objectives and initiatives of local governments throughout the region.
The nine-month strategic planning process included stakeholder input, quantitative research, the development of strategic recommendations as well as an implementation plan and performance metrics.
View the strategy documents below for more information on the process, research and implementation plan for the Metro Atlanta Regional Economic Competitiveness Strategy. An Implementation Committee composed of leaders that represent the regions economic development organizations will guide implementation of the Strategy.
Regional Economic Competitiveness Strategy Executive Summary (PDF)
Work Group Members (PDF)
Steering Committee Members (PDF)
Strategy Documents: The Regional Competitiveness Strategy includes the following 5 components:
- Strategic Initiative Inventory (PDF) - an assessment of current local and state economic development priorities, goals and strategies. Ensuring the regional strategy is a coordinated effort, this inventory, with input from the Work Group and Steering Committee, informed development of new strategic recommendations for the Metro Atlanta region.
- Public Input (PDF) - Public input includes public input and focus groups facilitated by the consultants in all Metro counties as well as public feedback received by ARC during the Fifty Forward and PLAN 2040 processes. In addition, a survey open to all Metro Atlanta residents was conducted for 4 weeks in March, 2012, receiving over 1,100 responses.
- Competitive Assessment (PDF) - a thorough analysis of the key strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and challenges facing the Metro Atlanta region in key demographic, economic and quality of life indicators. Includes benchmark against three peer metropolitan areas with which Metro Atlanta competes for jobs and workers.
- Economic Cluster Review (PDF) - an assessment of various business sectors that are currently being targeted by local, regional and state economic development organizations, and identification of the most competitive cluster and targets in the Metro Atlanta region.
- Regional Economic Competitiveness Strategy and Implementation Plan (PDF) - a 5-year Regional Economic Competitiveness Strategy and Implementation Plan will represent the culmination of the four previous phases, with strategic objectives identifying "what" the Metro Atlanta region should pursue, and specific implementation actions answering "how" the region may pursue the initiatives.