The purpose of a compensation and classification study is to ensure that a community has accurate job specifications and salaries that will help retain the best employees and attract qualified applicants. Compensation and classification studies provide local governments with a customized salary structure for their organizations.
What is involved in the study?
In a compensation and classification study, ARC staff will:
- Conduct a comprehensive salary survey of cities and counties in your competitive market
- Update and create new class specifications
- Study and evaluate all positions to determine the appropriate classification and salary for each
- Make necessary adjustments to the pay structure
How do I know if my city or county needs to do a study?
While every local government is unique, some common reasons for pay and classification studies include:
- Outdated class specifications
- Increased turnover
- Difficulty in recruiting qualified employees