The Transportation Investment Act was signed into law in June 2010, putting the future of Georgia's transportation in the voters’ hands. Elected officials in each of the state's 12 regions will develop a list of projects to be funded by a one percent sales tax. Georgians will vote on the tax in the 2012 primary elections.
Should the tax pass in a region, all revenue collected there would stay in that region. Local governments would share 15 percent of the revenues to be spent on any projects they choose. The other 85 percent will be used to fund the list of projects created by each region's transportation roundtable.
Transportation and a More Livable Future
Learn more about the Transportation Investment Act and ARC's Plan 2040 in this episode of ARC's "The Shape of Things to Come":
ARC Show 18, “Transportation and a More Livable Future” from Atlanta Regional Commission on Vimeo.
The Transportation Investment Act required each of the regions to have a roundtable of elected officials that will develop a project list that will be available to voters before they go to the polls. The roundtables include the chairperson of each county commission in the region and one mayor from each county in the region.
For more information about roundtables around the state, visit the Georgia Department of Transportation.
Learn more about the Atlanta Region Transportation Roundtable by visiting the Roundtable's website.
Below, ARC Chairman Tad Leithead explains the Roundtable process and what the referendum could mean to the Atlanta region.
Tad Leithead- GA Transportation Investment Act from Atlanta Regional Commission on Vimeo.